Skip to main content

A permit may be required to build, grade, or fill in a floodplain.

Get a permit before you build

Always check with the Community Development Department at 541-917-7550 or visit the counter on the second floor of City Hall, 333 Broadalbin Street SW before you build on or alter property in the floodplain.

Build high, stay dry

Building above the base flood elevation is not only a requirement, but will protect your investment, facilitate financing, and reduce flood insurance.

Use flood-resistant materials and proper vents

Examples include “Smart Vents,” Concrete, Cement Board, Metal Doors and Cabinets, etc.

Floodplain Regulations

Floodplain Regulations

To comply with FEMA's National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), the City administers floodplain regulations to reduce loss of life and property and to regulate activities that may obstruct or change the flow of water. Participation in NFIP allows residents and business owners to purchase federally backed flood insurance.

Floodplain Development Permit

A floodplain development permit is required for development activities in the 100-year floodplain. Floodplain development is defined as any man-made change to real property, including but not limited to, construction or placement of buildings or other structures, fencing, mining, dredging, filling, grading, paving, excavating, land clearing, drilling, or Continuous Storage Operations in the Special Flood Hazard Area (100-year floodplain). See Article 6 of the Albany Development Code

Back to Top