Skip to main content

The Albany Municipal Code and Albany Development Code contain the City's laws related to dangerous buildings, fire and life safety, and nuisance conditions.

The budget for code enforcement comes from property taxes and includes money to pay for property clean-up, title searches, and prosecution of serious cases in Albany Municipal Court or Linn County Circuit Court. Enforcement of City codes is performed by the Albany Police Department.

Below are some of the most common complaints that the City receives, with the relevant sections of the codes that apply.

To report a code violation, contact APD at 541-917-7680.

Common Code Complaints



At large:
Dogs must be kept on leash when they are not otherwise contained by fencing or a kennel. Dog owners must clean up after their pets.

Dogs that bark cumulatively for more than 10 minutes during any one-hour period when such barking is audible off the premises of the dog's owner or keeper is considered a public nuisance.

Issues of abuse/neglect:
Dog left in hot enclosed vehicle, being physically abused, etc.

Immediate threat (occurring now):
Against a human or animal by an animal.


At large:
There is no State or municipal code governing the licensing of cats or the need to maintain immediate control of a cat like there are dogs.

Injured/sick or issues of abuse/neglect:
Community Service Officers do respond to pick up a cat that is sick or injured when the owner can’t be found and they do investigate reports of abuse or neglect.

Non-domesticated / injured animals

Feral cats, raccoons, opossums, nutria, ducks, and mink are often found inside of the city; however, these animals are not domestic animals and generally do not get a response from a Community Service Officer.

Other wild animal resources

Chintimini Wildlife Center
Injured wild animals
Corvallis, 541-745-5324

Safehaven Humane Society
Animal re-homing
Albany, 541-928-2789

Linn County Animal Control
Enforcement in Linn County
Albany, 541-967-3925

Benton County Animal Control
Enforcement in Benton County
Corvallis, 541-766-6789

Albany Police Department
Cougar sightings near humans or livestock or on public property.
Albany, 541-917-7680 or 9-1-1

Albany Public Works Department
Large (e.g. deer) dead animal removal
Albany, 541-917-7600


Junk & Trash

Living or working next to a property in the city that collects junk vehicles, parts, tires and other accumulated trash is both a hazard and a blight on our community. We take pride in our city and encourage good neighbor relationships. Investigating reports of debris, garbage and junk deemed a nuisance by the Municipal Code is just one of the many duties a Community Service Officer investigates.

AMC 7.84.040 states that it is unlawful for any person, or any agent or employees of any person to keep any debris, garbage or junk out of doors on any street, public sidewalk, lot, or premises within the City.

If a Community Service Officer determines during their investigation that a property is in violation of this city ordinance, a citation may be issued. If this is the first citation the person has ever received for this violation, the person in charge of the property may be able to have the citation dismissed, if the property is cleaned up within 30 days, and prior to the court date on the citation. Additional citations for the same violation are not allowed to be dismissed.

I received a citation for Junk & Trash, how do I have my property re-evaluated before my court date?
At the time a person is issued a citation for violating the Junk and Trash ordinance, the Community Service Officer informs the person receiving the citation if they’re eligible to have the citation dismissed, and provides a form outlining the procedure. Follow the instructions on that form. If the form has been lost, or there are additional questions, call the Community Service Officer that issued the citation for more information.

I was issued a citation for Junk & Trash, why is the bail amount so high?
The bail amount identified on the citation is not necessarily the amount of the fine associated with the violation. The bail amount is identified on the citation to inform the person receiving the citation what the bail amount could be if the person fails to appear for their court appearance and a warrant for their arrest is issued.

Grass and Vegetation

  • Vegetation on residential properties and vacant lots must not be more than 10 inches tall; encroach on neighboring property, sidewalks or streets; be poisonous to the touch; create a fire hazard; or block vision at intersections or driveways.
  • Keep sidewalks clean and unobstructed.
  • You are also responsible for maintaining the planter strip between the sidewalk and the curb in front of your property.
  • Trees overhanging sidewalks should be trimmed 8 feet above the height of the sidewalk.
  • Trees overhanging streets should be trimmed 14 feet above the height of the street.
  • You can report overgrown vegetation violations online or by calling the Fire Marshal at 541-917-7700. 
  • City street vision clearance hazards can be reported to Public Works at 541-917-7600.


  • Trash containers should be placed at the curb no more than 24 hours before pick-up; store containers off the street.
  • Garage sales are limited to three times per year, per property, and for no more than three consecutive days.
  • Portable basketball hoops should be used in your driveway, not the street, blocking sidewalks, parking areas, or mailboxes.


Boats and Trailers

  • Must be stored off the street.

Campers & RVs

  • Must be stored off the street.
  • You cannot live in a camper or RV except in an RV park.

Cars & Trucks

  • Vehicles for sale, that are being repaired or don't run, or that are not licensed cannot be parked on the street.
  • AMC 13.70.020 defines an “Abandoned Vehicle” as a vehicle left unoccupied and unclaimed; or in such a damaged or disabled or dismantled condition that the vehicle is inoperable; or not currently licensed through DMV. And parked or left standing on the right-of-way of a City street, alley, or City property for a period in excess of 24 hours.
Back to Top