Local entries due March 1, 2024.
Are you a 4-12 grade student living within the Albany city limits?
Mayor Alex Johnson II invites you to submit an entry to our third annual "If I Were Mayor..." contest!
Local contest winners are eligible for prizes and will go on to participate in the statewide contest presented by the Oregon Mayors Association (OMA). In the past, statewide winners have received up to $500 cash!
Submit your entry:
- Review the contest rules: English | Spanish
- Learn more about what a Mayor does...English | Spanish
- Learn what typical services Oregon cities provide... English | Spanish
- Get inspiration from winning entries from previous years at oregonmayors.org
- Create your submission
- 4-5th grades: Poster
- 6-8th grades: Essay
- 9-12th grades: Video
- Download and complete an official entry form: English | Spanish
- Upload your completed entry form and entry by March 1, 2024:
Judging of the local contest will be conducted by city officials or other persons appointed by the mayor. Local winners who qualify for the statewide contest will receive prizes that may include lunch with the Mayor and cash or other prizes from local organizations/businesses. Local winners will be announced no later than April 5, 2024.
A panel of Oregon mayors will judge the statewide entries. First-place statewide winners and their parent(s) are recognized at an awards luncheon during the OMA Summer Conference, July 20, 2024, in Klamath Falls. In the past, cash prizes for winners of the statewide competition have included $500.00 for first-place, $300.00 for second-place, and $100.00 for third-place.
In addition to being the local Albany winners in 2023, Noah Gabriel D. Salazar (a 5th grade student of Timber Ridge School) won the first-place prize statewide for his poster and Jacella Williams (a 11th grader from West Albany High School) won the second-place prize statewide for her video in the contest.
In 2022, 4th and 5th grade students from all nine Albany elementary schools and eleven essays were submitted. Brynlee was the winner of our local poster contest and our local middle school winner, Mikayla, went on to win 3rd place statewide!
- For questions on the local Albany contest:
- For questions on the statewide contest: Angela Speier,